FURR

Here's an incredible find. While flipping through the new arrival bin two days ago at Academy Annex (arguably the best record store in NYC) I stumbled upon this gem. An absolute mystery to me, FURR, on Magna Glide Records from 1977, definitely falls in the what the fuck? catagory of noodle-scratchers. Though Sid & Marty Krofft immediately come to mind, the credits indicate that this is actually a Kasenetz and Katz production, but for some reason this one didn't have quite the same success as 1910 Fruitgum Company or Ohio Express. The music itself is generally hard rock with dual guitarists brandishing enough tasty licks to sprain your wrist while playing along on air guitar. But these puppies aren't so one-dimensional because just when you get your mullet flappin', FURR gets a bit funky and for a second, a brief second, you think that you are listening to an Ohio Players record. Wild! I cruised around the ol' web for a bit trying to learn something about these funky canines but there is a vast void in cyberspace, and that void is the abscence of FURR. Perhaps they are only obscured by dark matter and there is in fact something out there but I'm just incapable of seeing it. That being said, if the Truth is out there - I need to be enlightened. If anyone has some info on this band, please share. Here's a taste of FURR to help spread the mumbo jumbo. Is it just me, or does anyone else hear someone doing their very best Ritchie Blackmore impersonation in this one?
FURR - Sorcery

3 comments:

Where have I seen that before?
Page 1 "Metal Mayhem":
http://www.zonicweb.net/badalbmcvrs/

November 27, 2007 at 1:04 PM  

I have this on vinyl, bought it at a thrift store.

October 19, 2008 at 12:44 AM  

I've now heard two tracks from this album and would love to get a copy of the whole album. If anyone can help me out, grant@tripledisc.com

December 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home