Trog


Here's a recent viewing that I recommend to any schlock cinema head looking for a few yucks. The long-awaited (by me anyway) release of Trog (1970) on DVD. Sure, it's been available on VHS and it's hardly the type of film that garners critical acclaim. So what. I pity the fool who cannot appreciate the likes of Trog. Joan Crawford stars as "noted" Anthropologist (whatever noted means), Dr. Brockton. She desperately wants the world to appreciate Trog, the missing link, who was discovered in caverns below the moors by some young spelunkers. Mean old Mr. Murdock - played by one of my favorite character actors, Michael Gough - doesn't see Trog as a value to science and/or humanity. He wants Trog destroyed because he (Trog - or Murdock?) is nothing more than an uncivilized beast. Dr. Brockton shows Trog is a sensitive, new-age kinda guy capable of speech (only after some type of ill-defined surgery) and catching a ball that is slowly rolled to him. Murdock, fearing the public will side with Brockton, attempts to sabotage the anthropologist's efforts by destroying her lab and framing Trog as the culprit. Now free and enraged, Trog slaps Murdock around and heads for town where the poor, misunderstood woolly bully has to defend himself against angry shopkeepers. Trog eventually makes for the caves he used to call home. That's pretty much it. I don't want to spoil the ending where Trog is destroyed - oops! What a film. I love the Trog make-up. It's actually a mask but who cares. The film is rife with scientific inaccuracies and loaded with silly lines that make one scratch his or her head in disbelief. Unfortunately, they just don't make 'em as lovable as this anymore.

1 comments:

"TROG"- Wow, I love your writing style....as in, I can hear your voice. I saw "TROG" at the local drive-in for my 13th birthday.
My Dad took a packed pick-up truck
full of my friends to see a triple feature. "TROG" & Vincent Price in
"The Oblong Box" were the Hits.
Cheers to Supernaut and keep typing.
---Arthur

July 17, 2007 at 6:18 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home