Here's The Kids

Well, days passed and I thought of nothing to post. Then today, after three longs weeks of waiting on that ever-so-slow international shipping, I got a yellow slip in my P.O. Box. The "Never Mind The Pistols Here's The Kids" 7" EP I won on eBay way back when finally arrived from Germany. Now I have some inspiration for a new post, I thought. Yes, those bloody Belgians, the Kids. They're worth talking about. So I cracked it open and slapped it on the ol' turn table. Not to say that I'm dissapointed, but I'm glad I didn't pay a whole lot more than I did (about $26). The cover is a booklet with photos, newspaper articles, a discography and a 1995 interview with Ludo, the singer / guitarist (he's the sassy looking one in the striped wife-beater). The record contains 6 songs. It kicks off with "No Work", an unreleased studio cut from 1977 that would fit in nicely with their first record, which, if you haven't heard, is a must. Aside from the studio cut, there are 5 live songs from 1978 including a cover version of Wire's "12XU." It's all vintage material released by Wild Wild Records out of France. I don't see it on the discography on the Kids' website, so I assume it's an unofficial release. Frankly, I don't care. In later years, the Kids became more of a power pop outfit (I really hate to use that phrase), as the naive edge dulled & the music became more polished. Ludo still tours as The Kids. They played in Texas a few months ago with a friend's band. I really should ask him about that show. If you haven't heard the unreleased track from '77 included on this record, here it is for your listening pleasure.
The KIDS - No Work

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home