Livin' In The 80's


Well, well well...More than a month has passed since my last post. I have neglected my poor little blogger page while still in its fledgling stage. Shame on me. I guess the best way to make good is to post something. Something amazing. I recently got enough gumption (i.e., money) to step up to the collector scum bullies and assert my need for this unmitigated classic punker from middle America - the Zero Boys Livin' In The 80's 7" EP from 1980. Okay, I must confess, I only had the scratch - common sense dictates here - to get the 1990's "re-issue", which, since one can clearly see that the matrix numbers in the run-off groove have been scratched out, is just a euphemism for bootleg. It still cost me a pretty penny but far from the $600 - $700 range the original Z-Disc pressing sells for. This press comes with a lyric sheet insert and sounds great. There's nothing like holding a record in your hands and staring at the cover art as you soak in the sounds oozing from your speakers and this one has excellent cover art. It's simple and oh so cool (a bit reminiscent of early Chrome). Zero Boys were based in Indianapolis, Indiana, which might surprise listeners. There's a polished edge and worldliness that smacks of big city slickness like the Ramones possessed but there's still an element of crude simplicity and nastiness that makes it the type of snotty riff raff all the sophisto music enthusiasts crave. It contains the best of both worlds - a bit of pop with a touch of hardcore before hardcore ruled the plains. I actually feel like an ass attempting to intellectualize this piece of punk history, since it is meant to be felt and not pondered by a midle-aged weenie kneading his chin as he searches for just the right adjective to put the reins on it (oh brother). That being said, I guess I will have to let my faithful reader(s) decide if this is the winner I purport it to be. As you listen, keep this in mind - I pity the fool who doesn't dig this record.
Livin' In The 80's
Stoned To Death (For Sexual Offenses)
Stick To Your Guns
I'm Bored
A Piece Of Me

2 comments:

ZERO BOYS are classic. I used to hang around with Laurie Silverman (81-82)
who dated the bass player of ZB's in
her Indiana days. So, I got to hear
the record & stories early. As I recall, Paul did some mean recordings for RAW POWER (Italy)and other bands
who toured the USA and stopped to
make the document in middle America.
I'm excited.....Another beer and up with the volume !------Arthur

September 12, 2007 at 5:42 AM  

http://www.kbdrecords.com/

September 15, 2007 at 2:34 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home